Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Photoshoot!

Hi there. This is Faye, your convo mag photographer. :) Regarding the photoshoots and all, I know there's been some confusion going around about the groups, times, shoots and all. Sorry about that, the groupings were thought of in the spur of the moment and not much consideration was given to effective communication. But fret not! All your questions will be answered (hopefully) in this post.

What is this photoshoot for?
The pictures for your convo mag profile pages.

Where will the pictures be taken?
Either the basketball court, atrium or 4th floor, any place with suitable lighting. Outdoors is best, but time for outdoor shoots are very limited as by 11am it's too hot to have pictures taken comfortably. The atrium and 4th floor have reasonably good lighting on a sunny day.

If a group of people wish to take their photos elsewhere nearby, like the Bukit Jalil park or Vista pool, that's fine. Just let me know the details.

What is the style of the photos?
Something like this:


As you can see it's different from the past convo mag pictures as we've decided to incorporate the background of the photograph as the background of the profile design itself. No cropping or framing. Subject is about 1/4 to the left or right, remaining 3/4 space is for the profile information. The little message box will be fit in somewhere.

I'm not free at that time, can I change time?
Sure thing. I'm quite flexible.

The list says group A - J only, what about the rest?
I only set up shoots for the first ten groups to kickstart things and gauge how much time I would need per shoot. So far so good. The rest of the groups, I'll set up another shoot timetable umm soon. ^^U

Can I take my own photo and pass it to you?
Yes. Just adhere to the criteria: individual pictures (no group shots), obey the 1/4 subject 3/4 background rule, preferably vibrant colours (no sepia/b&w), preferably smiles (no weird faces), no restrictions on clothing style or props, at least 4MB. :) You can email it to fayepl@hotmail.com or pass me your pen drives.

I really don't like my picture. Can I have a reshoot?
IF it's really necessary. I have to sleep/study/eat too yknow.

When is the deadline?
Deadline for ALL convo mag stuff is 12 April but I'm hoping to finish taking the pictures by end of March, taking into account processing and reshoots and things like 40-page community health reports.

What if I just don't turn up for the shoot/hand you any pictures?
Your picture won't be in the mag I guess.


These are some pictures from the shoot today...

The basketball court aka green zone is a very good place for pictures, particularly with natural lighting.

I was going to suggest everyone bring props or something that defines you (ie basketballs, guitars, Man U banners etc) but decided it was too much trouble in the end. However, if you still want to bring a prop, please feel free.

This is a photoshoot, so primp yourselves up! Dress up, makeup, wear your ties, gel you hair, pose like a model, show me those smiles! A few things though, I noticed some girls were wearing really pretty shoes but given this 1/4 :3/4 ratio it's quite hard to capture full body shots without it looking disproportionate. You can go ahead and wear the shoes if you want, I'll still try to capture it, but in the end it may not be able to be in the pictures.


Also, makeup is good, just worried that if there's a lot of people and you have to wait a long time for your turn and the weather gets hot, you will sweat and it might not be so glam anymore. Just a note.

As soon as it hits 11.30am it gets too hot to shoot outdoors. Indoor photo taking is fine too, just that there's less green and lighting may be a problem. But if you know how, the pictures can come out just as good as an outdoor shoot. :)

Most of the shots are either waist-up or three quarter body. I find this works well with the frame we're trying to work with. (This btw is an example of a picture that may be in consideration for a reshoot. :P)

And be creative with your poses and backgrounds! I directed for most people, but some really came up with cool poses and backgrounds. I can't think up 209 poses can I. ^^

Generally I try to get people to look at the camera but it doesn't always have to be that way. You can look in any direction you like, as long as it turns out good, we'll take it.

We are kind of running out of places to shoot in the basketball court though. Still trying to think of good spots I can shoot with without repeating any backgrounds.

I have a tendency to take right-sided photos. Will note that.

Like I said, be creative with your poses!

After I take your photos I will usually go through the pictures with you, and if you have no preference I will pick the best one of the lot. The most important thing is your face - features have to be sharp.

For Vista people, I'm thinking of having shoots on Saturday and Sunday mornings, (best time is 9-11am) that way we can give non-vista people more time to take their pictures at the optimal times on weekdays. We can even go to the Bukit Jalil park and unlock more awesome backgrounds! :D What say you?

If you want to ask questions/change times/ask to look at your pictures again/give any comments, my number is 019 8587300 and email is fayepl@hotmail.com.

That's it for now. Thanks to all those who came for the shoot today!

Faye